Thursday, May 13, 2010

Jokester

With parents as weird as Nacho and I, it's true that Elisa never stood a chance. I remember a co-worker once exclaiming (after a particularly lewd joke I told) that she feared for my future spawn. Oh, she had no idea. Nacho and I probably only got cable so we could watch Comedy Central, and as parents, we're still a little too fond of cussing and talking as if Elisa wasn't in the room. I know it will change--and soon--but it's true that some things are just part of your DNA. So I wonder how much of a jokester Elisa is going to be. Since she invented her little staring game at 5 months old, we've seen that Elisa definitely has a developed sense of humor. Now as toddlerhood is in full bloom, it's also pretty clear that she likes getting my goat as much as her Papa does. He once took a photo of my exasperated face and saved it on his phone so he could show people how funny I look when I'm mad. Yeah, that's love. As for Elisa, she seems to revel in my displeasure lately and I try to make sure she knows when it's funny and when it's time to pack it in. Here she is today digging through her basket of clean burp rags, pulling them all out and driving me crazy with her grandstanding.
First the hand goes in and makes a grab for the whole pile...
See mom, I've got 'em and there's nothing you're going to do about it...
Oh, yes, these clean rags feel good against my skin...
And finally, the face that says, mom, I still love you...even if you won't play along.

No comments: