Thursday, May 20, 2010

East Sidin' it

We played at the park early this morning, so after Elisa's nap we were ready to hit the city and enjoy the nearly 80 degree day. Nacho's two days off mean we almost have a "weekend" in the midst of the weekday hubbub which is great for eating out and enjoying a little family stroll through the Lower East Side. We also met up with my friend Marija who introduced us to a new coffee place (Gimme!) and in turn finally got to meet Elisa. I still remember the day I told Marija I was pregnant and we both laughed about how long it feels and yet the time has flown by. She's been living in the U.S. for several years now and I know New York is a better place for it. Marija is one of those people that empathizes with every pore of her being and she knows how to listen. I think we all need a friend like that. Plus, she's funny. And one of the most charismatic women I know. It's nice to talk to her and explore the city with someone who clearly loves it as much as I do.

Walking through the streets of the LES, I was really struck by how much art is all around us. It's an area of the city that I feel like I rediscover every time I pass through and that's part of the appeal. The old tenements are amazing, the little shops and cafes so welcoming and I never feel like an outsider there. We made an early dinner at La Esquina our last stop on the walk and by that time, Elisa was ready to get out and stroll some herself. Luckily, the plaza just opposite the food stand has a few benches to dine on and pigeons worth chasing. The perfect formula for eating in peace while a toddler roams. Well, almost. It did take a bit of chasing her down and I guess food wasn't high on her priorities tonight. But I enjoyed my dinner--a familiar favorite of chicken torta and roasted corn with a tamarind soda. And sometimes, that's all that matters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Firstly the profile shot of Elisa is adorable! Her porcelain skin and baby-blue eyes makes my heart melt..... I am sure many boys in the future too!!

Thank you for your kind words Ann - I had such a lovely day chatting and walking around - a perfect nyc moment...

If ever there was a person so caring, strong and helpful it's you Ann - I remember a difficult time that without your positive attributes and no-nonsense attitude I would not be in my favorite city today!! Ny is most definitely a better place with you, Narco and Elisa here - you are both sensational parents and I'll come to you both for tips in raising my kids..... hopefully.......fingers crossed........one day!!
p.s hey ann you need an agent - your photography would be great in Traveller magazine Condenast of course - oh and Vanityfair...remember your passion for fashion..

love,
marija