Friday, May 28, 2010

Waterworld





Seeing Elisa splash around in the backyard pool at Grandma's house today proved once and again that the kid likes water. She took a little time to get used to the depth and size of it, but then she started to kick and walk through the water. She even mastered the art of lounging in an inner tube (after copying her cousin Mia's cool demeanor). It was a nice distraction on a hot afternoon and I think Elisa might be pestering us again soon to let her play. She didn't mind going without a diaper and only once did I feel like she might be letting something slip when she playfully shouted "pee pee!" as she poured water slowly from a cup. Um, yeah. So, we've been talking more about the potty lately and she's been following me in nearly every trip to watch me pee. She wants to actually see me pee which makes for good viewing, folks. The fact that she thought of pee pee as she poured water kind of made me laugh and then it made me check for a warm current near my feet. Ah, yes, the things we do for love. But I really hope Elisa develops a fondness for all things aquatic. I remember swimming and making up games in the pool every summer and just practicing my underwater Olympics ballet routines as a kid. Yes, it was a sport I improvised. I so wanted to be a mermaid that I guess that was close enough. Now I just hope this girl is part mermaid too. That way we can swim together some day and look for fish off the coast or just jump in the waves. Water is so freeing. What's not to like?

No comments: