Wednesday, December 2, 2009

And so it goes...

I don't have a cute photo to post today because it's not that kind of day. I found out on Monday that I no longer have a job and it's disappointing to say the least. I've thought many times over the past 12 months that I was trudging a difficult path being a wife, mother and worker. And yes, I even thought about what it would be like to quit my job. But I didn't. I liked what I did. And I liked the small office I had called home for over 4 years. 4 Years. The longest I had worked anywhere. Ever. It was a place I felt I knew and yet I found myself a stranger there. Left to clean up and clear out without even a farewell from the boss who had vacationed with me, visited Elisa in the hospital and been a good friend to both Nacho and I. Surreal is the only way to describe it, I guess and yet, part of me wasn't surprised at all.

Since having Elisa, my life had changed radically. Not only had I undergone a physical transformation (mom boobs, anyone?) but I have felt myself pulled emotionally and mentally in many different directions. Directions I didn't know existed before I had a child. Life changed. My priorities changed, and I wasn't the worker bee who could spend 9 or 10 hours a day in the office. When I started back in January, I felt relieved to be out of the house again and to see other people who could talk about something other than poop or boobs or sleeping habits. It was a return to normalcy I thought. Clients, emails, paperwork--it was all part of the old life that made sense when I felt my new life was too confusing. I was glad I found a way to continue to work and give myself that opportunity and give Elisa the chance to know other caretakers. She has had a few and they were all good in their own ways. Our current sitter Vanessa is so lovely and really makes it easy to see Elisa off when I leave home. Luckily, I wasn't gone every day which made this year feel like the best of both worlds. The allure of working part-time, from home even, was a definite perk of this job and I even commented on this blog that I had the best boss in New York City. But that was then.

Today I am a stay at home mom and I don't even know what that means. Does this mean I won't look for work? Does this mean I can afford to stay home? Does this mean I should have another baby sooner? I have lots of questions and very few answers. What I do know is that it wasn't in my control and that just sucks. It sucks to lose a job and a friend at the same time.

7 comments:

Maggie said...

WTF? I can't believe this... I'll call you soon.

Unknown said...

Oh Ann! I am sorry. You talked fondly of your boss quite a few times. I got laid off a year ago after 10 years and you describe the uncertain feeling perfectly. I think you should write for a living. I love reading your posts! Hang in there. You know you'll figure it out...at least until the next thing comes along...such is life, huh?

Ann Price said...

Stacey, I didn't realize you were laid off too! That blows. I guess there is never certainty in anything, so this helps clear my head of that illusion. Luckily, we both have great kids, so the future is bright! I am already feeling much better and am reminded how much my friends and family care. Thanks.

wendy ham said...

oh ann, that just sucks. i was close to being laid off when zane was born. i always said it was like being on the titanic as it went down. she was a beautiful ship, and i was clinging on the backend just waiting to plunge down into the water. so, i just jumped before i was sucked down. i'll tell you, when things like that happen, you just make it work. you'll be better for it. you have always been one of the most intelligent people i know, and anybody is lucky to have you working with them! but, i know it stinks at this moment, and for that part, i'm sorry. at least now you can go to the park more often with elisa and take very cool pictures for me to see!
wendy

Anonymous said...

God Ann when I was reading this it really made me think, its not fair! I have so many of the same thoughts. I'm sure everything will work out for the best, and remember a stay at home mom is a wonderful thing!
Kerry oduibhir

Anonymous said...

Ann, I'm so sorry about what happened to you, especially since I know how good you are, having had the pleasure of working with you (you know who I am :) hint: NC, beach, italy).

I'm sorry. I would have expected better from PD and EB. I hope you find happiness in raising your beautiful girl full-time and please continue blogging.

I really enjoy reading your blogs.

Ann Price said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate you all for the kind words. Feeling much better after a week of decompressing. Having this blog to keep me sane and knowing it matters to some of you, is the best therapy!