Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Christmas Spirit

This weekend was a great way to start December. Nacho was home both days and we got to have a bit of family time after a trying week. On Saturday we braved the cold rainy weather to get out and snag a Christmas tree a few blocks away. It's not like the Christmas tree farm adventures of my youth, but buying a tree for $29.99 at the local grocery store and dragging it home 6 blocks isn't too bad for a city kid. At least there was no tying it onto the car and hoping it stayed put. This year, I think Nacho just decided it was easier to participate than fight my decorating commandments. Here he is with his favorite ornament. Elisa and I sit and read in front of the tree.
A close-up of my favorite ornament--I smile every time I see this and I don't know why.
On Sunday, I had a holiday brunch with some of the moms (and dads) of our Sunnymoms playgroup. I've mentioned them many times before, but this group has made my transition to motherhood so much more fun and I'm particularly glad to have them in my life as I figure out what staying at home with Elisa is all about. Of course, it was nice to leave Elisa at home for a change and enjoy a meal with the group where we could really chat and talk about all the things (okay, mostly babies) that we deal with daily. So many of them can relate to what I am going through in one way or another, that I am constantly reminded that work is not an identity. It is who we are, not what we do, that makes us interesting and talented. They are amazing like that. Afterwards, Nacho and I took Elisa over to the Sunnyside Gardens Park Holiday Boutique to see Santa. I wasn't sure exactly what Elisa would make of the jolly ol' man, but if the photos below are any indication, I think she'd rather be anywhere else.
We tried again a few minutes later with her friend Juliet (whose mom Kristin Burns took these hilarious photos! If you haven't booked your session with her yet, hurry up!!). But Elisa wasn't having it. I guess this is one for the baby book. Santa must have been pinching her from the looks of it.
Ho ho ho!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE the santa pics!! total crack up!!! - wendy

jessie said...

I have a very similar snowman ornament, looking at it right now in fact! Love reading your blog...Jessie