Sunday, October 10, 2010

Road trip!

Five years ago, Nacho and I had recently moved to New York and were excited to explore the Northeast. We didn't have a lot of time or money, but we took some wonderful road trips around the area and made the most of our wanderlust. I remember one trip up through Connecticut and Massachusetts on Route 7 that was bursting with fall colors. We had just experienced a week of solid rain and the misty sky and overflowing rivers and waterfalls that greeted us were a beautiful sight against the oranges and bright golds. Once again as this autumn rolled around, I was getting excited to travel north and show Elisa the full spectrum of the foliage. When Nacho got his schedule for October and had a string of days off in a row, we figured it was prime for exploring the corridor up through Burlington, VT and Montreal. So today we took off around 11 am, and made it just out of the city before Elisa dozed off for an hour and a half. Nap done. Score! Which meant that we were able to stop in several of the same places that I remember and show Elisa the covered bridge at Bull's Bridge Park and the cascading waters of Kent Falls.




Maybe it was just my mood today, but taking this same trip with Elisa reminded me of all the times Nacho and I would talk about our family and the trips we hoped to make together. It's like stepping into the future--and seeing our daughter delight in all of the same things that we enjoy--when the past as a childless couple feels like just yesterday. And if the way she ran around in the woods is any indication, I think Elisa will be able to keep up with us on the trails in another few years. I can't wait for that trip, and for another five years of exploring.

No comments: