Tuesday, October 26, 2010

All the girls

On Sunday we were invited to an impromptu brunch for my former co-worker and friend Dessi and her little girl Sofia. I remember the day I found out Dessi was pregnant. It was a few weeks before I was let go from work and she was one of the first people I knew I was going to miss. Over the four years that I worked at the firm, Dessi was a constant friend and I really miss our chats while walking through Chelsea Market. While pregnant, she finished law school, took and passed the NY bar and moved to Texas. Did I mention she's the real deal? That's why I jumped at the chance to see her again this weekend. It's hard to pick up and travel when you've got more than luggage to cart around, but once again, Dessi seemed totally poised and effortless. And wow. That Sofia is one beautiful baby. At four months, she is all about chewing on her hands and those little grunts of displeasure when she wants something else. But in all, she was so incredibly quiet and sweet. And when she fell asleep at brunch, Elisa took a peek at her tiny hands, shouting "manos." Though their ages are vastly different now, I know in a few more years, the girls will be chasing each other around the room.
It felt good to be out celebrating this new life, especially with everything else going on these past few weeks. There's something about kids--the way they just suck you into their world--that makes it hard to stay in a funk for too long.

No comments: