Monday, October 25, 2010

This is hard

Today is just a hard day. We found out yesterday that our friend Patrick lost his battle with cancer. I find myself constantly returning to thoughts of him, of what his life might have been. He was the baby brother of our friend Molly, the best friend of our friend Dan and an all around great kid. I say "kid" because he was. Patrick was the goofiest, sweetest, dreamiest kid. His conversations could take on so many fanciful thoughts and yet, he always seemed well grounded. A guy from Arcadia Valley, MO. A gentle soul who loved his nephews so much that I can't imagine them growing up without him. Reading his Facebook wall has been so tough and yet amazing. Today I think his father summed it up best. I had to share. From Thomas Wessel:

Contradictions: When I read all these messages it makes me both cry and rejoice. Cry because Patrick is no longer with us but rejoice because there has so many people whose lives he touched. And when I say that Patrick will never grow old I am so sad that I'll never see "Adventure in St. Louis" starring Patrick Wessel and for the grandchildren I will never hold. But, on the other hand, he will always be 25. He will forever be at his laptop telling me what I'm doing wrong. He will always be optimistically getting ready for the next interview which will lead to his big break. He will never hurt again. He lives on in our hearts and minds. And that is why it is so important that all of you fine young people must remember--that some day, when you're in your sixties and seventies and eighties you must say to someone, " I once knew a guy who was really nice and I still miss him. His name was Patrick."

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Wow. That was incredibly moving. Thank you for sharing. I continue to constantly pray for and think about the Wessels and the Rileys. This IS hard, it is possibly going to make it on the list of Roughest Things I Have Ever Endured. I know because I am merely 3 months down this road. It still hurts, I still cry, I still ask...why? Just know that I am here if you want to process, scream, cry, whatever you need. I love you...and I am sorry, so very sorry that Patrick is gone.