Saturday, October 9, 2010

Our very own Oktoberfest


Last year we made it to the Sunnyside Gardens Oktoberfest on a whim. We weren't yet members of the park and I was bored and thought it might be a fun thing to check out. Elisa was just starting to get her footing walking all over and we had a great time chasing her through the pumpkin patch. This year I had high hopes for doing the same. We've been enjoying the park all summer and now that my favorite season is upon us, I figured it would be a gorgeous day to enjoy the festivities. But of course, life with a two year old isn't about what I want, right? This whole week has been a battle of the wills and I'm not sure I know what the score is. Elisa slept in today, ate breakfast like a champ and seemed happy to get out of the house. But within minutes of entering the park, we were melting down. Some girl took her swing (because naturally they are all Elisa's) and then there was the fact that all the regular park toys were put away. Elisa kept crying for a ball and seemed mad and distracted everywhere she went. I attempted to get her interested in the pumpkin patch and came ready to buy the one she fell in love with, but no dice. Didn't want to be in the field for more than a minute and couldn't have cared less about the silly pumpkins. So we snapped a quick pic and headed out. Her attention span and patience is too short for any of the crafts and she was already calling for "home! home!" when I settled in to get a bratwurst. That worked for about 5 minutes and then we were up and moving again. The music was a hit with all the kids I saw, but Elisa wasn't too crazy about dancing for some reason. With Nacho working today, I knew it would be a bit of a struggle to enjoy the festival to its fullest, but we tried. The event seemed much more organized and well laid out this year, so kudos to everyone at the park for that. It looked amazing! Hopefully next year Elisa will let me hang out for a bit longer since the nap that brought us back home today will have disappeared. Hmmmm...will that be any better?

1 comment:

Maggie and Ann said...

Oy, exhausting, eh? But good for you for trying it (and trying it solo, I might add). As we keep saying around here, won't it be easier next year?

Abe is already approaching this stage quickly and he's only 16 months...