Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's only been five years, but I had to dig up the pictures from our other trip through Route 7. As I mentioned before, it was one of our first trips through the Northeast and we were so excited to just take to the road and wander along. Ahhh...the good ol' days of traveling with no itinerary and no curfew. Here we are happy and smiling without a clue of what life would be like in a few years time...
Maybe I'm a sucker for nostalgia, but I really loved looking back at these photos. Not only do I think we've aged pretty well (okay, Nacho never changes) but I feel like we are where we should be. I know it's a constant struggle to want more in life, and to wonder where things are headed. Eleven years ago when I met Nacho, we were living in St. Louis and united by a feeling that we should both be somewhere else--maybe together. We picked up and moved to Spain a few years later, and after 15 months there knew it wasn't the right fit. The jobs weren't materializing and at the time we were still undecided about how and when to get married. It was a lot to figure out. We came back to the States and landed in Philadelphia for 2 years while things sorted themselves out. It was the start of our family life, but still it felt like we weren't "there" yet. A new job and a move to New York City at the age of 30 felt like a trick at first. Wouldn't I be too old and too tired of the city life to start again there? Within months, I knew the answer was no. I felt alive. I loved it. We both loved it. And for the first time in a long time, we were home. Having a baby in the city brought about a whirlwind of changes that sometimes make me lament the cosmic shift in our lives. But still, we have found a way to adapt and thrive. It wasn't easy and I can definitely understand why people with kids leave. But sometimes, if you stay, you get to a place that feels like this is it. This is where we are now, and it's good.

No comments: