Thursday, October 28, 2010

Catching up with friends

Thursdays usually turn out to be pretty busy. There's music class at 11am, followed by a stroll or maybe impromptu lunch with friends. Then nap and usually the park in the p.m. And just like Newton's laws of motion, it's true that when you are go-go-going, it's easier to stay on that path letting the constant motion guide you. Because once you stop, well, you're done. So today, we just kept going. From my baking-before-breakfast routine, to a quick visit with a friend, to our music class and then a playdate at Carmen and Leonardo's. The kids were all enjoying the warm weather and sunshine after yesterday's drizzle, so we opened up the back porch and took our coffee and bagels outside. What a nice morning...
And except for one disastrous timeout (wherein I tried moving Elisa from room to room until I finally sat her down on the front step), Elisa was in a pretty terrific mood. We're struggling with sharing toys and taking turns in the most life-or-death way. There is just no in between with this girl. Once she regained her composure and understood that she could have a turn, things improved. She even handed off the item in question (a broom of all things?!) and seemed to get that it wasn't "the end" of her playing for ever and ever. But the amount of effort and patience it takes to get to that point alludes me some of the time. It's so much work just calming her down. Oy. And yet I don't really think of Elisa as a "high needs" kid. But there are definitely times when I watch other two year olds and think their tantrums are a whole lot more manageable. Is the grass always greener? Who knows. But what gives me hope is that when she finally stops sobbing like I'm stabbing her in the heart, Elisa makes that eye connection, takes a deep breath and sometimes--if I'm lucky--gives me a hug like she did today. That alone was worth the crazy.

No comments: