Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And the winner is...

So you may have noticed the little baby naming poll I concocted to the right here. With Elisa, we knew years before we got pregnant that it was a name we both liked and it was easy enough for both our English and Spanish speaking relatives to pronounce. Name done. If she had been a boy, we would have gone with Julian which was another name we both seized on and loved from the get go (and perhaps from reading it in The Shadow of the Wind). However, when we found out we were expecting another girl this time, we didn't exactly have a back up name already picked out. It struck me for the first time that we had to think about this name stuff, and of course, it opened us up to a world of possibilities. How to choose? I know naming a baby can be a very divisive family issue, but mostly, it just feels like such a responsibility. Every name has so many pros and cons, but really I just want one name to speak to me. I want to feel like I know this girl before she arrives, like I did with Elisa. It was such a beautiful name to me and I never hesitated to call her by it once she was here. And now we have to find her match. Her little sister who we already adore and can't wait to meet.

4 comments:

Kate said...

woops! I totally missed the poll! Good luck deciding -- they are all great choices.

Maggie said...

I missed it, too! Dang reader.6
Well my votes are for Carolina and GAbriela... but I do like them all!

Ann Price said...

Geez, ladies! Get with the program. And just to let you in on a little secret, the top two contenders are my faves too!

micki said...

Which name has Elisa picked??
My mother got to name her second youngest sister, which was good for her. My oldest aunt is named "First", my mother is named "Next, my third youngest aunt is named "Third"...loosely translated in Japanese.