Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sunshiney Day

After all the rain yesterday, we were ready to get out and about this morning. Luckily my friend Jenny and her daughter Ella were up for meeting at Cannelle Patisserie, a local French bakery in Jackson Heights, not far from us and close to their new apartment. Since the first time I exchanged emails with Jenny, a fellow Sunnymom, I knew we would get along. We found out through a discussion on the list serv that we had had the same OB/GYN with our girls, had delivered just days apart, and pretty much suffered through the same labor story. Crazy, right? I think our first meeting was even at a bakery so I suppose we have a sweet tooth in common too, which always makes for a fast friend with me. Today was the perfect weather to go for a little treat and then a walk to a nearby playground. The girls weren't on their best behavior indoors, but they definitely knew what to do at the park...
And apart from Elisa trying to block Ella from climbing the ladder (what's with the control issues lately??), I'd say they got along great. Elisa has her moments of trying to dominate her playmates these days and it's increasingly frustrating to watch as she goes from her playful, cheerful self to a mean and nasty smacker trying to get other kids out of her way. Sometimes she just gets in a rut where she thinks everyone is after her toy or chasing her for some reason. Lots of shrieking ensues and it's hard to get her out of the loop and back on the playful cycle. When she self-corrects and moves on, it's wonderful, but all too rare. I feel like I should be seeing more of that as we get closer to three, but I'm not holding my breath. Since neither Ella or Elisa have gone to any sort of preschool this year, I'm curious to see how they will both deal with the upcoming changes. Perhaps on one of our next meet ups, Jenny and I can grab a coffee and pastry in peace while the girls are at school. None of that chasing and cajoling to sit down and behave. Just us talking and enjoying a morning. Of course, I'll need the next kid to sleep through this little kaffeeklatsch, but I can dream, right?

No comments: