Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Big Yellow Bus

Today was the first day for our school bus route, and boy, was Elisa ready. She went to bed last night and just before I kissed her she said, "I'm so excited about the bus tomorrow!"  Of course, there were a few last minute jitters as we walked to our stop this morning. She wanted to know if I was coming on the bus too....um, yeah...about that. I realized only too late that I hadn't really explained how this works. But fortunately, after hearing I would stay put, she was a little sad but otherwise fine. Having a friend at our stop probably helped soothe some fears too.  So we waited for about 10 minutes (nothing like being early the first day) and several buses passed us on their way to other schools. It felt a little anticlimactic when it finally did show up. The doors flew open, we took another step forward and then she was on. I barely had time to capture it for posterity. The look on her face is exactly that mixture of nerves and excitement and please-mom-leave-me-alone-now that I was expecting. But it still seems like such a big thing for her to be off and on her own. She did great. And I will be there in 8 hours when she comes home on the bus to greet her. What a wild ride for us both. 

2 comments:

Kate said...

Just wow! Go Elisa. Georgia could not handle the bus yet.

Ann Price said...

You know, it's one of those milestones that I wasn't sure we could prepare for. Elisa totally rolled with it and her friends in the same school are all riding our bus so that helped a great deal. It's only day #2, but so far, so good. I think they are more ready than us sometimes! Hope Georgia will be soon!