Monday, September 30, 2013

Back from beyond

Each year we make the trip to NC in September for a little beach time, I have to remind myself that fall will be waiting for us when we get back. It really will. And so again this year, we set off on the last week of the month for  a family vacation to Emerald Isle, NC hoping to eek out just a few more days of summer. Luckily, the weather was beautiful and the temperatures hovered right around 80 degrees most days. It really couldn't have been better for lingering on the beach. With my mom feeling better--or at least more mobile, we were able to really enjoy this time together. Any doubts I might have had about taking Elisa out of school subsided, and I embraced each beautiful sunrise with a cup of coffee on the deck. Somehow those 7 a.m. wake ups are okay when you have this kind of scenery.
By the end of the week, Uncle Kent and Leroy had taken off only to be replaced by Stacey and family. I was glad to wait it out and see them again. It felt like our last visit to the shores in May was a bit hurried and we only had one beach afternoon together that time.  Getting the chance to hang out on Friday night, play our annual Trivial Pursuit game (I lost) and just enjoy a leisurely day on Saturday was great. Elisa and Carolina were both enamored of their cousins and spent a lot of time calling their names or just sitting and staring at them. We hitched a ride home with them to Raleigh on Sunday after packing up the house. It made more sense to fly out of RDU on Monday so that's what we went with and after getting bumped once, it all worked out. I'd like to say I'm coming back completely refreshed, but the truth is I've felt totally wiped out after our mad dash back to school and routines on Monday morning. I suppose this week is a good time to pace myself and plan the month ahead. October is always my favorite time of the year, so I have lots of big travel ideas. We'll see what I'm able to pull off. In the meantime, I'm just grateful we have another year's worth of memories made at the beach house. Now fall can start in earnest.

No comments: