Thursday, December 2, 2010

Lovin' the lights

I'll admit I'm a sucker for Christmas lights. There's something about this time of year that brings out the festive part of me and all I want to do is smell fresh pine needles and light candles. Truthfully, I don't think it's as much a religious celebration for me as it is that good ol' Pagan tradition of celebrating the cozy darkness of winter and the solstice to come. But either way, there's plenty to be excited about as we bring 2010 to and end and get ready to indulge our little girl in some of my favorite holiday traditions--trimming the tree, singing Christmas carols, wrapping presents and baking cookies until all our tins are filled! So it was for no other reason than to see some neighborhood lights that we set out on a walk the other night at dusk. The lights up on Queens Boulevard were beckoning and I was surprised by how easy it is to fall in love again with our proximity to the city. There's something about seeing the Empire State Building all aglow at the end of the horizon that makes the rest of the lights just sparkle brighter. After yesterday's torrential rain and winds, we made the trek to the 1st Annual Skillman Avenue Holiday Lighting last night which left a bit to be desired but featured hot cider and hot chocolate from our local eatery Aubergine. Did I mention I also love this season for all the great wintery drinks? Mmmm. Yes, there's just something about Elisa's little gasps and oohs & ahhs when she sees twinkling lights on display around the neighborhood that tells me she's a festive spirit as well. Now I can't wait to pick out a tree and get the real thing up in our house. December, you've got me smiling already.

No comments: