Monday, December 20, 2010

Inside out

So many times in the past 2+ years I've wondered what in the world Elisa was thinking. As an infant there were the gassy little grins and wide eyes pondering my every move. Later, her darting glances and quick steps usually meant she was on the prowl for something she shouldn't have. And even earlier this year, I would hear unintelligible babble and try my best to match it up with something we'd been doing or playing with. And now finally, I have a little girl who can and does tell me things all day long. Things that make sense most of the time. It's still shocking at times that she can be understood by people at large--like when she gets separated from me at playgroup and I hear her telling another mom friend "I can't find Mama!" But it's such a welcome change from the never ending charades that defined us so far. Of course, no progress is ever without a bit of yin and yang. As much as Elisa is talking now, there are also those rare moments of her quiet introspection and silent play that make me smile and wonder what new scenarios she's dreaming up. Lately, she enjoys lining up her Little People and their animals along the top of her piano or the living room chairs. It's as if these are her audience watching her perform a cabaret--complete with singing. Oh, the singing. Elisa is always half mumbling some lyrics or carrying a light little tune when she's playing around. And today, she actually shushed me while pretending to know all the lyrics to a Yo Gabba song. Note to self: I guess the spotlight is only big enough for her. ;)

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I love this stuff. It's the most wonderful part of parenthood, isn't it?