Monday, November 29, 2010

If it's Monday...

This is the last of my Memory Mondays for a while. I think I'm too undisciplined to remember to post something every week on a particular topic. But it was fun to try. This photo was taken almost a year ago this week. I love that Elisa's shirt is stained with a stream of drool--a sure sign of teeth yet to come. We had a big debate about getting a live tree again since Nacho is never in favor, and I was wondering if it would be wise with a 16 month old wandering around. But in the end, I needed that tree to cheer me up and it did. It gave me a focus for the holidays and I was inspired to decorate and carry on despite having been laid off. Elisa was in awe of the tree and yet she didn't want to get too close. Her first encounters with it were almost a lesson in tactile overload--the prickly pine needles too much for her to deal with. But within a matter of days, she was racing over to it and fiddling with little ornaments here and there. I tried to keep the bigger (and more breakable) ones up top at least out of reach. And that worked well for the most part. In fact, I remember how normal the tree came to be after a week or so. Elisa didn't go crazy trying to topple it and I could relax again when she was momentarily out of sight, knowing that the tree was safe. So flash forward to this year and I am eager to get another tree and start decorating. Something in me refuses to do this until December officially begins, but it's fast approaching. And I think Elisa might be more fun helping get the ornaments out this time around, although the lights are still mine. Nothing like a little Christmas control freak to kick the season off right!

1 comment:

micki said...

most of the ornaments are at the bottom of the tree this year. That's what you get for letting the toddler help hang ornaments. The tree is a great diversion from TV though. and it sure does cheer up a room.