Thursday, November 18, 2010

Getting the sillies out

Our time in California is whizzing by and we've been enjoying every minute. Elisa has been waking up around 6:45 a.m. (9:45 a.m. New York time!) and staying up til about 8 p.m. at night. The schedule just kind of worked itself out and I'm extremely relieved we're not having 4 a.m. wakeups out here. That would just be cruel. With Stace and Mark off to work and the kids at school, the days are pretty lowkey, but I think today I'll venture into town or drive to nearby Joshua Tree National Park. The desert landscape is so wild and harsh in its beauty. I really like the contrast to the lushness of New England. Of course, I'm not sure I would want to live here, but the visit it enough to make me appreciate both climates. After all those gorgeous leaves in the chilly Midwest air, it's nice to bask in the abundant sunshine and warmth of the desert. We hit up a nearby park after Mia got out of school yesterday and Elisa was squealing with delight. I think the weekend will be a tour of the area and the farmer's market and local eateries, and maybe a visit from mom's friend Karen who lives in Las Vegas. So for now we're resting up and just enjoying the change of pace from city living. If I could move this state just a few thousand miles closer to New York, I think we'd be visiting once a month. Now there's an idea.

No comments: