Thursday, September 30, 2010

Two year check up

Yesterday we took Elisa to her belated two year check up in Manhattan, and I'm happy to report all is well. She measured an incredible 39 1/4 inches tall and weighs 31 1/2 lbs. now. No wonder she's wearing all 3Ts! This kid keeps amazing me with her physical development, whether it's the jumping or the dancing or just the fact that she's walking blocks now. She's a real preschooler and I'm so happy to see her thriving. There was a questionnaire to fill out in the waiting room asking all kinds of things. Did we have any concerns with her speech or movements or lack of understanding? Well, no. Not really. We joked that of course compliance is another thing all together, but we're pretty sure that Elisa understands us these days. And she's definitely putting words together and making herself understood with more and more clarity. It's all just as the books predict, but still so cool to watch. The practice is near Madison Square Park so we used this as an excuse (like we need it) to visit the Shake Shack afterwards and grab an early lunch. Elisa nibbled on my burger and ate almost an entire order of fries while chasing the sparrows out from under our table. Nacho asked if I thought we could do this with two in tow, and I gulped a little harder, but said yes. I think so.
It feels like the decision to try for another baby at this point is well timed. If for no other reason than dealing with Elisa is getting easier. It's still challenging at times, but there's definitely an ease to our days and nights that wasn't always apparent early on. So for now we're making the most of our time with just her, and looking forward to whatever happens next. She's such a little person with so many simple requests and who delights in the smallest gestures. Today I remembered to buy rice cakes at the store and her face just lit up when she saw them. How easy was that? And last night while we ate out with a friend visiting from out of town, Elisa kept herself busy trying to use her kids chopsticks and ate more rice than I've ever seen her eat. It's these little discoveries that I find so amazing lately. When she cried "roto! roto!" today at her baby stroller, I had to laugh because she now knows the Spanish for broken. Where did she learn that? And she implored me to try the "otro" shoe this morning because she didn't want to start with the left one. Whatever, weirdo. But my favorite new expression is what Papa whispers in her ear. "Te quiero mucho." She may not know what she's repeating, but it still does a mama's heart good to hear it.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, today I measured this girl myself and I'd be hard pressed to say she's much over 37 inches. I mean still that's pretty tall for her age, but the 39 in. yesterday really threw me off. So for now, we're going with my tape measure and we'll let the doctor keep on believin'.

No comments: