Saturday, June 12, 2010

BBQ-licious





Today was one of those days that sounds jam-packed when you sit and analyze it after putting Elisa to bed and crashing on the couch. We started before 8 a.m. and made it to swim class at the Y by 9:30 a.m. Unfortunately, Elisa kept shouting for "Mama, mama..." during her lesson, but Nacho survived and got her to relax a little. Afterwards, we joined fellow swimmer Juliet and her parents for a Mexican brunch and a bit of the World Cup match between Argentina and Nigeria. We made it home by noon, took a nap (all three of us) and woke up to watch the USA vs. England which ended in a draw. Oh well. Then off to the city and the Madison Square Park BBQ Festival which also doubles as a good beerfest. BBQ and beer? Count us in. The last time we made it there it was nearly 100 degrees and I was 8 months pregnant. Let's just say I enjoyed today much more. Despite the crowds and the stands running low on food an hour before closing time, we managed to find a good meal and a spot to sit and that was all I could ask for. It was enough. And sometimes, when I'm trying to manage the day and help keep Elisa in check, there is a tendency to mentally race ahead at every stage. But it's good to pace myself and today I was able to just deal with what was at hand and it all turned out good. She LOVED my pulled pork sandwich. Seriously. As in, I jokingly offered her a bite and she grabbed it and ate the other half. I couldn't stop laughing. Just when you think you know her, she does something so grown up and amazing. And it makes me smile all the way through.

We left the park and the smokey air for a stroll through the West Village, stopping briefly at Washington Square Park. We always seem to pass through or near here, and usually it's a good spot for Elisa to stretch her legs. She always finds some music in the air and enjoys watching people play in the fountain. Today there was an Indian Festival on so the chants and dancing were especially lively and there were lots of people swaying in saris and just having a good time. Summer was alive and kickin'. We arrived at our final destination--a new place called popbar--that sells delicious gelato on a stick. You can pick all kinds of dips and toppings and they all looked great. I got the cream gelato with dark chocolate and pistachios. Mmmm. So good. Elisa liked Papa's strawberry with milk and white chocolate too. In fact, she polished both off while dripping and dancing around the little square off Carmine Street. There were a couple of older kids playing tag and Elisa so wanted to join them. She was running after them and grabbing the light pole they used as home base. Sometimes I think she really believes she is just as big. And I realized that as much as I try to picture her that age, I just can't. There's so much yet to discover before then. I think I'll take my time.

No comments: