Monday, June 14, 2010

Today is everyday

Life is strange. Some days I compose things in my head to write about here and then the time escapes me and I am rushing around trying to get to bed at a decent hour and it all just feels like a lost game. I want to restart the clock. So I'll try again. We managed to get out of the house for the playgroup this morning and it was a nice way to pass a gray day. Even when she's tired, Elisa seems to perk up a little at these gatherings and we made it an hour and a half before the slide towards meltdown began. It was another little girl's third birthday so the parents brought cupcakes and balloons and this was a big hit. Okay, so I ate the cupcake (I swear Elisa didn't want it) but she LOVED the balloon. It was a constant companion around the apartment all day.
We made it home by about noon and Elisa napped for a little less than two hours. I hate to say it, but lately when she naps so little I feel cheated. It's like two hours is the cut off point. If it's more than that it's awesome, but any less and I feel like I barely had time to sit down before she was back up again. Maybe it's just that when I compare this to a month ago and she was napping nearly two hours twice a day, I realize these times they are a changin'. And it's a good thing. It is. I can plan our days a bit better knowing that there is only one interruption to make instead of the dreaded afternoon nap. And I know she has been doing better staying up and not being so tired in the mornings. That's a bonus. Plus, her afternoons are a constant go-go-go at the park or other meetups in the neighborhood which is fun and it gets us both out of the house and engaged in activities which is a real perk. Because let's face it, when you stay at home, it's nice to have a social life that meshes with your kid's. And for that, I am truly thankful. So yeah, Elisa's really tolerating it all well. But like everything about having a kid, it's also a bit about grieving what's gone on before and letting it go. That seems to be the lesson about all these changes.

We were at a barbecue party on Sunday and seeing a friend's infant son (her second) was such a sweet sight. Elisa was peering over the car seat shade to have a look and I fell in love with her face at that moment. She was such a big kid taking it all in and there was such a distance between her and this newborn. It really struck me how small and precious and just there babies can be. So unassuming. Well, at least the quiet ones. I don't really remember Elisa ever just sitting and staring without lots of noisy commotion. So please, Lord, if you're listening, can I have one of those next time? Yes, I did say next time. Just when I feel like my body and my life are getting good again, it's time to dive in the deep water and see what happens. Nacho and I have set our sights on round two which means we'll start trying for a second (the fun part) sometime this late summer/fall. If it goes as fast as it did with Elisa, I'll be very glad. We were so incredibly lucky and I know it. Most days I can't imagine what that will be like. But it feels like we're in that place again where this is the right time. So let's see.

In the meantime, here's our girl having way too much fun at the playgroup. Enjoy!


No comments: