Sunday, April 28, 2013

Greening up

Yesterday we were up and out of the neighborhood early enough to enjoy a wonderful tour through Central Park before nap time. It's been feeling more like spring this past week and Saturday was no different. The sun was gloriously bright, the breeze was light and the girls were happy to be out and roaming free. Well, almost. Elisa had a complete meltdown before we ever left the apartment.  There's no rhyme or reason to her tantrums at 4 1/2 and it completely catches me off guard at times and frustrates me more than it should. She didn't want to get dressed. She wanted to wear the same polka dotted dress she'd worn the day before and slept in. And after I picked out another lovely dress for her to enjoy, she screamed and cried and generally pissed me off with her craziness. I have to say I lost it. I know it's not the best way to garner cooperation, but sometimes I think she just wants to see how mad I can get. So I showed her, and then we moved forward. Once outside she was amazed how pretty the park looked and I reminded her that this was the reason I was trying to get her ass dressed in the first place. A knowing look was all I needed to know that she understood. Quit being a turd. This weather is too nice. 
We probably should have ended up at the playground near Columbus Circle and sent Nacho for lunch from Good Burger.  But when the idea of Shake Shack crossed our minds, it wouldn't leave. So after a little rest in Sheep Meadow, he left ahead of us and trekked up north and got in line. And waited, and waited. What was supposed to be a "15 minute" line turned into a 45 minute slog, but he held tight.  Meanwhile, I meandered with the girls trying to enjoy the paths and beautiful flowers and delay Elisa's persistent request for ice cream. We met up again in front of the Natural History Museum's flower-ringed fountain on 77th and the girls ate and danced while Nacho and I scarfed down our burgers. It was a nice end to the excursion and contrary to the start of the day, things were mellow and peaceful on the way home. Saturdays like this can just keep coming--minus the crazy.

No comments: