Saturday, April 6, 2013

Enter April

April is here. But the only bare skin we're seeing is when we shed our layers indoors.  Case in point, I haven't even pulled all the short sleeve shirts I have stored away for Carolina because it hasn't been warm enough for us to need them yet (and okay, she prefers the topless look right now). Soon though we will be without jackets on the playground...yes, hopefully soon...
But for now another week down and still this weather is just not cooperating.  We saw more of the sun, but there were still lots of chilly mornings and windy afternoons.  It just doesn't feel like we've caught a break at all this spring. No gloriously warm afternoons at the park sprinkled throughout like in years past.  So Carolina and I have been enjoying our quiet mornings hanging out at home while Elisa is in school. She takes advantage of this special time by dressing up in her sister's clothes and playing with her toys. It's kind of fun to watch partly because she knows she's getting away with something and also because it just reinforces how much she's growing up. Right before my eyes. So many times since having a another child, I've realized that the second time is just like the first in many ways--only on hyperspeed. It's like everything Carolina is doing at 20 months, Elisa was achieving by the age of 3. The language may still be lagging, but the mannerisms and interests are so much more mature. And Carolina can maneuver her way around a playground like a big kid. She really has that big kid attitude too.

And speaking of attitude, I figured this week was a good time to do a few things with my big girl since half days at school don't leave much time for just her and me. With Nacho off work a couple of days, I took advantage of the chance to leave Carolina at home napping while we slipped out.  On Wednesday we ventured over to Long Island City with Carmen and Leonardo for an abbreviated picnic lunch at Gantry Park (it was cold!), followed by an hour and a half of open playtime at LIC Kids. A few weeks ago, I bought one of those Groupon-type deals with 3 open plays for 50% off and I'd been promising Elisa we'd go. I think she was more than thrilled at pickup when I surprised her and included her BFF as well. Of course, nothing with these two is completely easy, but they managed to jump and dance and somersault their way through the playtime without too much fighting.  We decided that after indulging them all afternoon it was time to treat ourselves, so a final stop at Sweet Leaf for a coffee and pastry was the finishing touch. I'll definitely be ready to return on a rainy day later this month.

And after such a good week, it seemed only right that we get her haircut in anticipation of the warmer temps to come. For whatever reason haircuts haven't been my favorite thing to plan and execute. In fact, in 4 1/2 years, I've only taken her twice to get real haircuts and both times at Cozy Cuts, a toy store/salon that ensures you'll spend more on the toys and crap than the outrageously priced cut. But hey, they do let you pick your own video. So anyway, this time I was determined to find some place local. Somewhere without a TV as its main attraction. I started asking Elisa about cutting her hair a few weeks back after she kept making comments about wanting hair "like Carolina." What does that mean? Short? With bangs? I wasn't sure. So once we discussed the length and she told me she wanted short hair and bangs, I figured it was time to take action. I tried Florent's on 49th Street this time and was pleasantly surprised when Elisa didn't freak out. We had a bit of a wait, so we grabbed a slice of pizza and came back. And by that time the stylist was ready to wash, cut and style Elisa into a whole new look. It's kind of an angled bob with a really grown up style.  I didn't mention the bangs and I think she forgot about them until about 5 minutes after we left. I just couldn't go for that change all at once. So for now, we have her summer hair taken care of and who knows, maybe soon she'll get her face framing bangs. But if she's anything like me, as soon as she gets them she'll want to grow them out again. Oh God, I hope she's smarter than that. 

No comments: