Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday in the city

On Friday I went into Manhattan for a haircut and as I left the salon and wandered through SoHo, I had one of those strange epiphanies.  I really missed the city.  I felt like we were friends who hadn't seen each other in a long time and I wanted to sit and have coffee and catch up.  Everywhere I turned there were new stores and eateries and so many little corners I wanted to explore. And yes, I know I'm still living in New York City, but I guess the problem is that it doesn't feel like it at times.  With two kids and a comfortable existence in our little oasis of Sunnyside, Queens, I just don't have the same opportunities to wander aimlessly throughout the city. Nacho and I aren't taking walks post-work to discover new restaurants and cozy little cafes. We have fallen into our routines of eating out in the neighborhood (if at all) and hitting the local playgrounds when we want to socialize. 

And most of the time that's enough. But when it's not, I find I have an ache--an almost physical yearning--to spend more time walking around the city finding new favorite places and sights. It's something I can't explain better than that, and it's probably the reason that I can't imagine moving anywhere else. After you live here, what else can keep such a hold on you? It may not be for everyone, but I feel like in the 8 years I've been here, I've only scratched the surface of what the city has to offer. And on days like Friday, I realize that I'm getting slightly closer to being able to enjoy more time in the city. The girls are growing up and getting easier to deal with on these kind of outings. It's really more about my will to do it--the stamina will follow. And at times, I admit I get overwhelmed by the enormity of the city. There's so much to choose from it's hard to pick a place to visit without thinking there must be something better around the corner. The dilemma is oddly paralyzing.  But after my day alone, I wanted to do something fun with the family.  So yesterday, the weather looked decent and Nacho was off so we talked about doing something in the city. There was a playground on the west side a few moms mentioned recently and it looked promising. Tom Otterness, the sculptor, designed its bronze slides much like the little figurines that grace the subway platform on 14th street, my old stomping grounds. It was a good starting point for our walk through Hell's Kitchen...
Both girls loved the slides and we spent a good 30 minutes letting them run wild. The playground is situated on kind of a weird block at the far end of 42nd Street. So when Nacho suggested grabbing lunch nearby at Daisy May's BBQ, I was sold. It would be an easy walk and sharing meats and sides would work out fine. So far, this day in the city with two kids was working out pretty well. Yes, there was some mild fussing at the restaurant and lots of interrupted bites as I dealt with their demands throughout lunch.  Carolina is just at that terrible age for sitting still anywhere so she really hates high chairs. And Elisa can be counted on to eat for a little while. But she too gets antsy and wants to dance or switch chairs. Fortunately, we were done fast and back out on the street heading north to find another distraction as we walked towards Central Park. I wasn't really clear on what we were doing next, but after a few blocks, we spotted a neighborhood park near 47th that looked inviting. The sun struggled to come out until about 1pm, so we were finally out and enjoying some warmth. One crazy (possibly drunken) mother in the park later and we were looking for a reason to bolt. I got a recommendation for a good natural ice cream place, Je & Jo, a block away and that was our final stop on this day of exploring.  Coffee with cookie dough for the girls and an affogato for Nacho and me. A little something for everyone which is just how I like my city days. My confidence and energy restored, I look forward to more of this in the coming months.

No comments: