Sunday, March 14, 2010

Looking forward

This week we are finishing up our last music class on Thursday and after that, we'll be heading to North Carolina on Friday to visit my family for a while. The second half of March holds two special birthdays--my nephew Jordan and my dad--so this was a good time to plan a trip. I'm even thinking of packing some short sleeves for Elisa and a dress or two since it's been in the 70s there a few days. Hurray for spring! While my mind is on the weather and making sure I have birthday gifts covered, my niece Mia has been busy getting ready for our visit as well. Here is the note she left on the kitchen counter for all to see:
Make no mistake--this sucker is for Elisa. So hands off. Such a sweet gesture, and if Elisa could reciprocate by marking a toy, perhaps a Yo Gabba Gabba stuffed animal for her cousin, she would totally do it. I know she would. We look at photos of family every day (MULTIPLE times a day), and recently Elisa has even started mimicking her cousin's name. Not quite "Mimi" but we got a "Nini" and a "Migi" for sure this week. I am getting excited to see how the two interact this time around, since we had a great time at Christmas with Mia visiting us for a change and keeping Elisa occupied for hours on end. They are quite a dynamic duo.
Playing with the water and helping Elisa shovel sand during our beach week last fall.
Checking out photo albums with her cousin.
A quiet moment between two special girls.

Whether Elisa ends up having a sister or not, I know that for sure, she will always have her "big sister" in cousin Mia. They both have such a fun and playful spirit that it's great to watch how they are growing up together. Hopefully, this won't come back to kick me in the butt when Elisa wants to do everything her Mimi does (only much sooner in life). Of course, if I know Mia, she will be there to help guide her cousin and provide that much needed big sis perspective in life. Just like mine was.

No comments: