Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Two peas

They may not be matched in size or physical ability, but if these two could have a compatibility test on laughing, I think they'd be a complete match. The amount of giggling and shrieking and general happy smacking (from both sides) has grown exponentially this past month. It's one of the things I most hoped for when the idea of having two kids became a reality, and so far, so good. Of course, we have many years and tears ahead of us, but right now there is harmony watching them together. It mostly manifests itself in Elisa doing anything and everything to make Carolina laugh, followed by more of the same until the last belly laugh is out of her. The other day it was Elisa diving under her toy table for something and Carolina thinking it was the funniest thing ever. This caught me by surprise, but oh god, the laughs were so heartfelt. Elisa was beside herself trying to keep it going. And then there are the times I hear the shrieking turn to crying and when I ask Elisa what happened it's something like "I pinched her" or "I pulled her hair." I think she still has a hard time believing Carolina can't control herself when she smacks or grabs her. So Elisa tries to get in her own little zings from time to time. But really, those times are pretty minimal for now. So I'm just enjoying these little moments and trying to savor it between all the monotony of routine and naps and maintaining the status quo. At times I know my stint as a stay-at-home mom is winding down and I really just want to make the most of it. But that's hard. It's not easy to appreciate the good stuff when you are ready to throttle the three year old for her tantrum or you just want the 8 month old to sleep 12 hours a night without needing anything. But this is life. This is where I'm at right now. It's not all happy and shiny, but when I see these two laughing at the same thing it makes me forget all that. And smile.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Such a great video. I love that deep belly laugh of Carolina's and that Elisa called her "stinky!"