Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blooming lovely

Today started out with a little babysitting playdate with our friend Leonardo. Our preschool is closed all week so we've been missing those mornings out for Elisa. At this age, having a playmate entertain her for a morning feels like a break for me. They were so sweet together watching photos and videos of themselves, playing Big Bad Wolf in the tent set up in Elisa's room, and letting me bake cookies while they danced around the living room. Carolina napped through out and I was actually kind of sorry when he had to go home...
But by mid-day we were ready to get outside and play. Elisa's been just on the verge of sickness for a few days, but she still loves running around the park. I'd say we could just stay home and rest inside, but really it was too gorgeous out. It just made my whole day to be in the sunshine and talk a little walk with the family, so I figured it would make hers too. It's only April but already the path to our local park is well worn. Today we stopped to enjoy all the beautiful blooms on the way since they won't be hanging around for much longer. The freedom of doing whatever we feel like most days is not lost on me. Lately, it makes me realize that I have this time for a reason and I should try to pace myself.
So we had lunch and then headed back home to let the girls nap while Nacho caught a futbol game on TV and I closed my eyes on the couch. Within minutes, I fell into that kind of gloriously deep sleep that feels like you've descended down a wormhole into another dimension. When I popped awake an hour or so later, I was more refreshed than I am most mornings. Why are mornings so horrible? These past few weeks have been especially brutal with frequent night wakings and undignified 6am wakeups that have been kicking my ass. But today I banked a few more hours in the sleep department. If only it actually worked that way. Tomorrow will be another early morning and probably more sunshine and park time. It's the pattern we've fallen into because it's easy and it suits both girls. And right now, that's good enough. Now if we can just get Elisa back from the brink of sickness, I'll be ready for a weekend adventure or two. SoHo last Saturday was a nice change of pace. Where to next?

No comments: