Monday, February 15, 2010

Turning it on

For Valentine's Day this year, my mom treated us to a wonderful lunch at a neighborhood spot (TJ's for those in the know) that we'd introduced her to last summer. It's the kind of place where Elisa is fawned over, the food is delicious and the check is ridiculously low. My kind of place. Considering we don't normally make V-Day a big deal, this was a fun distraction from the fact that Nacho was working and I would have been home alone watching my third episode of Yo Gabba Gabba for the day if she hadn't been here to take us out and treat us to a special meal.
The nice thing about mom's visits are that she never needs to be entertained here. Just being with us in the neighborhood, checking out the local shops and meeting our neighbors is enough for her and I don't feel the pressure of planning days with trips here and there and dining out every night. It's like the un-visit. Usually, we have a few favorite dishes (her meatloaf or enchiladas) and a few take-outs (Pio Pio or Butcher Block fish-n-chips) and the rest is relaxed and improvised. We catch up with Dan "the Man" Riley and try to sneak in some naps where we can. It's a chill week with an extra set of hands on deck. This week I felt a little cooped up because of the weather, but all in all, it was a benefit to have someone else to share Elisa with when the days can seem to drag on.
And if there is anything that Elisa likes more than an extra audience member, I haven't found it. She spent most of her time with Grandma jumping around the apartment (catching some air, mind you) and showing her the plethora of toys and stuffed animals that she can manipulate to great amusement (mostly her own). We had to laugh time and again at her "fake cry" which prompts much squinting and pretend crying--seriously, this girl is already playing that game--and the fact that she did not want to leave my side when it was time for a nap or bedtime. Despite the many hugs and kisses bestowed on Grandma this week, Elisa wasn't having her for rocking time. She wanted me and only me to put her to bed. I guess it's part of her setting boundaries and making choices which we kind of laugh at, but for her, showing preference is one of the signs that she is her own being. Oh, and don't we know that! So last night when she obliged and let Grandma rock her to sleep, without even a whimper, I knew something was up. Let's just say the girl knows how to turn on the charm when she wants to. And since it was Grandma's last night with us, I'd say she did it just in time.

No comments: