Saturday, February 13, 2010

Brrrrrrrr...

Following the snow we received mid-week, the city has gone into the deep freeze. I guess it is February after all, so I don't know what I expected. But the cabin fever that's settled in has been moderately relieved by our visit from Grandma this week. My mom flew up on Sunday and has plans to fly back Monday if the weather cooperates (we heard they got 6 inches of snow today in North Carolina!). She got to co-host playgroup at our place on Monday, participate in Elisa's music class on Thursday morning and she watched Elisa solo last night while Nacho and I enjoyed an early Valentine's evening out.
Which leads me to the fact that we went to see Avatar for our date night. Walking over the 39th Street bridge to the theater at Kaufmann Studios in Astoria was fun, if cold, and we were there in 10 minutes flat. A good reminder that when you live in the city and you are running late, if you hoof it, you'll probably wind up on time. I love that about this place. I really thought we couldn't have driven and parked any faster.
Afterwards, we were on our way to a favorite Greek restaurant when we spotted a little gem of a steakhouse (called Lucas) mixed in with the residential street. Since we weren't having any luck hailing a cab, and we were up for trying something new, we doubled back and found a perfect table waiting for us there. I think I'd forgotten what it was like to sit and talk and leisurely enjoy a meal. Something about being able to savor every bite and knowing there was no babysitter to rush home to was extremely relaxing. I guess I needed this. When we returned home, mom relayed the details of her evening with Elisa and the comic turns of a girl who has a thing for jumping, and dancing and getting the bedtime routine just so. It sounds like with no one else around, Elisa buttered up to Grandma and was all about the kisses and hugs which had eluded her earlier in the week while I was there. She even stayed down ALL night long and slept til 7:15 a.m.! Whatever she put in the bottle last night was liquid gold.
And bringing the Avatar glasses home was a fun way to share our evening out with Elisa. Here she is hamming it up. Quite the little nerd--a cute nerd, but still.

No comments: