Saturday, June 20, 2015

PEEC Part One

I'm finally catching up to the photo editing I've been looking forward to for almost a month now--our photos from PEEC over Memorial Day weekend. Since I have a habit of posting my Instagram pics first on here and then following it up with a "real" post, I know I keep my chronology in tact for the most part. But still, it seems like I've been so busy with end of year stuff (girl scouts, dance, and school) and a few fun photo shoots lately that I haven't had many afternoons to just sit and review the personal photos I've been meaning to post. With all the back and forth of our trip to PEEC (will Nacho make it or have to work?) it was nice to know that at least the girls were excited to visit again. They both counted down the days to our weekend and were slightly disappointed when I postponed leaving for Saturday morning. But with Nacho flying in late Friday night, it was the right thing to wait a little longer so we could all travel together. It made my life much easier with another pair of hands on deck and the whole weekend was really about us as a family having time to hang out and relax. That's what I love about the camping at PEEC--it's completely social and yet outdoorsy at the same time. So it was perfectly our speed. 
This time the kids enjoyed an afternoon splashing at the lake at nearby Camp Akenac (where yes, the water was a bit chilly) as well as the warm-weather activities like tie dye and the ice cream social. It was a little more crowded than our previous weekend during the fall, but I didn't feel that impacted us too much. With so many trails and activities throughout the day, you don't feel overwhelmed with people. Bringing Justin, Mindy and Andy along this time (with returning pals Joan, Pepa, David, Jose and Irene) was also fun for a little shot of novelty. I think we all meshed well together and the kids played and played with such ease. It was really great to watch.  This time I was happy to do a little hike on the Scenic Gorge Trail without a guide and just go at our own pace. The trail wasn't nearly as lush and pretty this time of year, but we managed to find at least a couple of salamanders and the kids were thrilled. And unfortunately we couldn't hang out much on Monday since we needed to get back to the city for a photo gig and Nacho's afternoon flight back to Atlanta. But that was also okay. We made it to PEEC and back as an intact family and I was happy and relieved to have the help getting home this time as opposed to our fall trip when Nacho had to bail on Saturday.  I still have another 100+ photos to work on, but real work is calling first. So for now I'll do part one of my PEEC follow up posting and just say there will be more soon. Ahhhh, the fun of reliving it all through photos.  Oh and P.S. the bear photos will make it in the next round. To be continued...

No comments: