Sunday, June 21, 2015

Fatherless Father's Day

This year we're celebrating Father's Day without Nacho being home. He left again last Sunday for a full week (plus a day) in Atlanta and we've been getting by mostly because the girls were on their best behavior so they could go see Inside Out, a new Pixar flick, this weekend. Now that we've seen it (this morning with Birdie and family), I'm not sure what my new bribe will be.  Thankfully, they weren't too demanding afterwards and we made it to the park and to Carmen's house for dinner after our plans to bbq got washed out in an impromptu thunderstorm. So tonight as I sit here reflecting on the day, I thought it would be a good opportunity to post some pics from the Father's Day Campout at Sunnyside Gardens Park earlier this month. It's such a lovely night for the dads to spend time with their kids, and there's a really nice vibe with all the kids running around the tent village and showing each other their new digs for the night. This year I wasn't as worried about Carolina being able to hang and I knew Nacho would survive and probably enjoy himself with so many guy friends around. 

And that brings me to something he has said and I agree with about what's special about the camp out. It really is and should be a camp out for the dads. It's kind of become a family camp out for some couples and that seems unfair. I mean, I understand if there are kids without dads or dads that can't be there for whatever reason. Then sure a mom could step in. But I really don't understand couples using it as a chance to mingle and socialize. Nacho said there was a whole gaggle of women near his tent that kept yapping and laughing well into the night. Why were they even there? Let the dads have their night, and in turn, the moms get theirs. I'm all about family time in general, but I think it's also good to have a chance to let dads do things their way. And yes, it might be messy and not be the way I would do it, but that's the whole point. I don't want to be there. I want him to spend some time with his girls and for all three of them to know they have each other to count on. I really value that and I wish more moms would step back and see the value in it too. 

And now that my soapbox is over, I'll just say it was also really fun to finally take Katie O'Sullivan up on her offer to swing by after dark for a little sangria and camaraderie.  In other years I either haven't been free or Nacho's been working, so it was nice to mix a bit with other moms, many of whom I don't get the chance to socialize with often because we pull from different circles. It really reinforced how lucky I feel to know so many great people in such a small neighborhood. By the time I wrapped things up and made it home to chill a bit before sleep it was nearly 2 a.m. Oof! A fun night indeed. So yeah, fatherhood might be something I don't always give proper respect. Lord knows I peck away at Nacho a thousand times a day about the way he does things differently. But at times like the campout, I'm forced to recognize what a good dad he really is, and how very much he loves his girls. I'm able to hand them off and walk away and know that they will have a blast running wild through the park with or without him around. And he will have an evening to talk and kick back with his neighborhood pals. So happy fatherless Father's Day, Nacho. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: