Saturday, August 9, 2008

It won't be long now...

August--the month I thought would never come has finally arrived and with it, the prospect of meeting our daughter. I've been having weekly doctor appointments for the past 3 weeks and am hoping there won't be too many more. The shopping is almost complete for the last few things we needed before Elisa arrives, and now I am concentrating on finishing up as much at work as I can. Nacho has already cleared his schedule after August 16, so he should be near home when I need him. And my last "official" day at work will be this Friday, August 15, so hopefully I'll still have a week to rest up and make the transition to being at home and ready for the big event.

There haven't been too many signs of Elisa's imminent arrival, except that I feel like she might have "dropped" or engaged in my pelvis this past week. I've been having much more pelvic pressure and slowing to a crawl when I walk. The peeing every 5 min. is still a constant (I mean, I never had a great bladder to begin with), but given all the swelling and discomfort of the last week and a half, I'm amazed I've been able to do as much of my normal schedule as I have. We also took a newborn care class this week which was maybe not as helpful as I'd hoped, but still a good forum for discussing what to expect in the first few weeks. Besides promoting olive oil above all other remedies, the midwife suggested some ideas for how to differentiate between day and night for a baby whose only concern is a 24 hr sleep/eat/poop cycle. Hopefully some of that will come in handy when I'm waking at 3am and 6am and 9am....

But mostly, I think the mood of the week has been one of anticipation. Nacho and I are both very excited to meet this little girl and to dive right into parenthood. With our fifth year anniversary coming up (August 28) we have agreed to let her be the "gift" and to enjoy the month and a half off work together with our little one. That really is the best present I could ask for.

2 comments:

Tia Stacey said...

I can't believe it's almost time. I look forward to the phone call that she is on the way or arrived! Good luck...and just stay in the moment...and breathe!

Maggie said...

Can't wait to see little Elisa :-) Put me on your email list when she arrives...

For what it's worth, I'm happy to help field calls at any time of day/night. A lot of that is still pretty fresh in my mind.

So excited for you!!