Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Vampire baby

Despite being an adorable baby, Elisa is, I'm pretty sure, a vampire. She loves to feed every 3-4 hours all day long, sleeping good stretches and going right back to La-La Land. But by 11pm, something switches in her and the little vampire emerges. She takes her late night feeding and then springs into action, burping, hiccuping and generally fussing about until she's ready for the next feeding. Nacho has been pulling this duty the past two nights, with moderate success getting her to quiet down, while mom takes the hand-off around 5am to get her through the mid-morning.

I've been lucky enough to sleep on and off during this twilight time, but I can't help but notice the life-sucking energy of a newborn. It takes three of us to keep up with her and try to get some rest on this cycle. And again, I'm amazed at how Elisa just lulls us all into her little world where time seems meaningless. Our meals seem to just come and go without fanfare, while we all mark exactly when she is eating (for how long and which boob) and pooping (how wet or how solid) with a kind of precision I never even had for my job. The benefit of all this topsy turvy living is that you feel totally absorbed in her new life. And when she smiles, even the twitchy little grin of a well-fed baby, you can't help but feel like she loves you for everything you've done. Which must be why I'm happy to wake all night long for that little moment...vampire or not.

1 comment:

Tia Stacey said...

I love the picture of her in her little seat...she is just in awe of those dangling little things...

Eventually, she will get that day is day...and night is night....in other words...she will eventually turn human...and leave her vampire ways. I promise!!!