Friday, March 28, 2014

March madness

After a nearly 4 hour long airplane adventure (yes, mechanical issues plus rain make for some fun delays on a Friday morning), I was ready to be on the ground in Raleigh. What started out so well with the girls rolling up to the plane munching on a bagel with cream cheese (more proof that Elisa is a real New Yorker--she demanded this before we left LGA) and taking their seats with no issues quickly devolved into a total bitchfest, slap-a-thon wherein I lost my zenlike focus and couldn't tolerate anymore. Not even Frozen on the iPad could save us. What I realized after the fact was that no matter how great Elisa has done traveling lately, she's still only 5. And at that age, what felt like an eternity to me on the plane was in fact, an eternity to her too. Fair enough. But still, she whined and moaned and irritated me to no end. I love how you can explain things to her and after much head nodding, she still wants the unattainable.  It's like living with someone with dementia. Or so it feels sometimes. (Meanwhile, the two year old rocked it like a pro).  But we made it. Finally. And the welcome to Stacey's house was all worth it. Elisa snuggled right up to Uncle Mark and Stacey had plenty of leftover flourless chocolate cake from Jordan's birthday earlier in the week for this hungry traveler. We appeased her insistence that we watch "Elf" and I let them stay up til 11pm after their very late nap. Ah, yes, travel isn't always easy. But I'm glad we made it.

No comments: