Monday, March 24, 2014

Tea Party Birthday Blow Out

It's good to be a kid these days. When your friends have birthday parties, they usually have some pretty kickass venues, gorgeous cakes and fun party favors.  I don't remember any of this stuff during my childhood. I was excited I got to take a friend to Happy Joe's Pizza at the Blue Ridge Mall when I was 8. So yeah, things have changed for sure. Is that a good sign? Who knows?  At times I'm pretty sure we're setting them up for a lifetime of expectations for bigger and better and funner....what will they think is normal when they turn 16 or 21 or, gulp, get married? But then again, life is hard enough that we need little bright spots sometimes. Isn't there something wonderful about celebrating with your friends even if you're only turning 6?  So I'll skip the commentary on modern parenting and all of its pitfalls and just say we had a marvelous time at our friend Laila's birthday party this past weekend.  It was held at Dudes & Divas NYC in Forest Hills, Queens and the place was decked out for the Butterfly Princess Tea Party theme with all kinds of beautiful touches. 
Stealing the throne, just for a second
Laila has been in Elisa's radar since they both went to Little Friends for pre-K last year. And now that they are both in Kindergarten at Academy of the City, they take the bus together and have lots of chances to bump into each other (even if they're not in the same class).  So it was a nice day to visit and also for just Elisa and I to enjoy a little time away from the rest of the fam.  There was nail painting to get started, games and dancing and even a sing-a-long to "Let it Go" that Elisa was more than happy to belt out.  So much energy, but I have to admit she did great and kept herself in check throughout the festivities.   We've been working on a reward system to curb the rash of tantrums of late, and she knew if she could get through both Friday and Saturday without a problem, she would get to see the new Muppets movie on Sunday.  Of course, I had to laugh when at 2:45 p.m. she told me she wanted to go home because she was tired. Before the cupcakes even? Yes, she wasn't that keen on them anyway. What a weirdo.  But hey, the kid knows when she's had enough and was ready for her nap. The fact that we were going out and leaving her and her sister and Leonardo with a babysitter for a long evening meant that I was determined to give her that much-needed rest once we arrived home at 3:45 p.m.  I'm pretty sure she was the only kid leaving the party to go snooze, but we managed to hang on til the very end which made me happy.  She had her cupcake after all, AND didn't lose her shit.  Amazing.  I managed to snap a few more pics and socialize myself. It was a definite win-win.  Elisa is a tricky kid sometimes, but when she pulls it together, she can really be a lot of fun. On the way home she declared this the "best party ever" and I have to say, I think she's on to something...

No comments: