Tuesday, March 25, 2014

School report

American house painting with mixed media (hahaha, how does that sound?)
Japanese house painting again with some fabric stuff
Science drawing about water and its uses
Elisa holding up the first book she brought to school to read to the class. She did it!

Last week we had our second Parent-Teacher Conference of the school year at AoC and it went well. I really like both of Elisa's teachers and their candor and perspective is always appreciated. I fear I did too much of the nervous talking thing that I tend to do when I'm waiting to hear what someone has to say. I had to remind myself to just shut up sometimes. But anyway, it was good to hear their assessments now that we're further into the year and also to have the reassurance that she's academically where she needs to be. I really appreciate their approach to learning and it never feels like we need to push for more. Everything in due time. And that's where we are right now with reading. I was just starting to feel like maybe Elisa needed a little coaxing to better decode words and really try to sound things out. So we've been visiting the library in Sunnyside and getting books for the past couple of weeks. It helps that they are really just pattern books with very simple (mostly 3 and 4 letter) words. Seeing her read them aloud to me and the confidence that has grown is amazing. It makes my heart swell. I think so many times with Elisa, she wants to be perfect--to ace things before she even tries them. And truthfully, so did I as a kid. The fear of failure was strong even for little goodie two-shoes me. So I really hoped that sitting with her to get through a few simple books would give her the boost she needed. And I think it did. She's so excited to read which is exactly what I want for her. There's no reason for her to be racing ahead. Her comprehension is pretty much on target with the material in these books and that's okay too. I want her to take it one step at a time and right now this is where we're at. She was so eager to take the book to school this week and finally yesterday they had time for her to share and read it. I don't know how she did or how many times she stumbled before she got the words right. But I know she did it. And I'm so very proud. And so is she.

3 comments:

Kate said...

That is great! Isn't it just amazing to watch them learn to read? One of my favorite parenting things thus far, watching those little lights switch on for the first time.

But I am totally with you - no need to push it at all. It will all come in due time, we just need to get out of the way.

(I have the same fears about Georgia and perfectionism, by the way. I'm constantly talking up failure and celebrating all of our flops, but I know I'm fighting a bit of an uphill battle with that one.)

Ann Price said...

Yes, it is fun. I love how every time Elisa sounds out a new word she yelps it and practically jumps off her bed. It's hilarious to see such full-bodied enthusiasm. Of course, there are still lots of times she just cheats and looks at the photo and guesses. I try not to get annoyed because there are lots of ways to read books, according to her teachers. But seriously, seeing her read and take pleasure in it is truly one of parenting's best moments.

Maggie said...

So fun! We sort of forget what it must feel like for them to be so incredibly proud of themselves for doing such BIG things. It really is amazing.