Thursday, March 13, 2014

Life as usual

Some days this is all I've got to show for my effort. One errand run and back home. It's the small things that help me feel like I've accomplished a lot. And the cookies. Those help too. 
These girls have been on a pretty good streak lately. Playing lots of improvised games at home and sometimes needing intervention, but also making each other laugh a ton. Carolina can still pinch and hit and be a two year old, but she's becoming more of a real playmate and friend. And Elisa is accepting that and finding ways to include her. I love them both equally, but I love them together even more. 
We finally got Melody over for a playdate at our house early last Sunday. It was another cold day and having a friend over for a tea party sounded like the perfect remedy. Elisa had a few crazy moments, but considering this was their first time really hanging out, they did great. Looking forward to seeing them in the park together and more tea parties too!
We finally had a beautiful spring day this week on Tuesday and since Nacho was off that day as well, we decided to do it up right and hit Central Park. Good choice. We started at Heckscher Playground on the southern end and worked our way up to Shake Shack for lunch at 79th Street. It was a mild day and Carolina loved every minute of her time running around the park without the clusters of kids that summer will bring. A day to savor for sure. And when Elisa saw these pics, she said incredulously "You went to that park without me?" I sheepishly smiled and said yes. Sorry, kid. Sometimes the weather is too nice to wait. 
A new drugstore bunny purchased after a successful dentist appointment. NO cavities! Woo hoo! I know we bathe these kids in sugar, but so far, they are brushing their teeth well enough or maybe blessed with good dental genes. I was relieved and so was she. Elisa has many very loose teeth, so the next few months could prove interesting. The dentist said she likely will end up looking like a "jack-o-lantern" when they start to fall. Yikes! Time will tell. 
And finally, another week of lazy mornings with my littlest girl. Carolina loves to "play tracks" as soon as she's out in the living room these days. Usually this involves setting up an elaborate train track with bridges and tunnels and such, only to have it dismantled or totally abandoned within 20 minutes. But the enthusiasm is real. She loves what she loves. And right now, I am happy to indulge her. We ended up hanging out with some friends at the Astoria play place today since the temperatures have dipped back into the 20s for highs. Carolina didn't mind the cold one bit once she saw the slides and made a new friend. It was a fast few hours of climbing up and sliding down. Rinse and repeat. This kid never got bored. And I had time to sit and chat and enjoy myself too. Win-win. But I'll still take warmer weather when it wants to show up. Please, hurry. 

No comments: