Monday, December 31, 2012

Holidays Part II

This Christmas we opted to stay put at home which was nice if a bit quiet. But for the rest of the holidays, we traveled to North Carolina to visit my sister and her family who have just settled in Raleigh. My brother-in-law recently retired from the Marine Corps after 20 years, 4 moves and multiple deployments.  To say they are elated would be an understatement, and yet this is a somewhat hectic time with lots of transitions.  They promised they had the space in their new house and so we were game to see them again after many months.  My parents also drove up from the coast so it was a complete family affair and a good time to celebrate Nacho's birthday again. The last time we were all together was in June at Disneyland and the changes in Carolina since then are almost unbelievable. She's not our quiet little baby anymore and will definitely let you know when she wants something. It's quite a shock to those who haven't seen her and to be honest, it's sometimes frustrating too. We're in the midst of the toddler tantrum stage, which if I remember right begins about now and ends in, oh....never. So while I love bringing Carolina to visit everyone, it does take a special understanding and energy to deal with her when the shrieks and cries have replaced coos and smiles. Add to that the change in scenery upheaval with stairs separating the bedrooms and living room and we are in a near constant state of neediness. Ahhh yes, now I remember why staying home with a toddler is so. much. easier. But then there are times of playing with her cousins and the chance to explore the local parks together. So it's not all crazytown--it just feels like it sometimes. 
I wouldn't say I know the Raleigh area well at all, but from this trip and my previous visits there seems to be enough to do. Most of the time when I travel in the U.S., I try to imagine living in that place. Could I do it? Would there be enough to see and do? Would I get bored? The real answer is probably yes, I could do it but I wouldn't want to. Except for the living space issue, there is really nothing about NYC that I don't like.  And there's plenty that I love.  Not that it isn't tempting to imagine our family in my sister's 2200 sq ft. condo that boasts 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, an enormous open-concept kitchen/living room, screened-in porch and extra loft space for much less than we're paying for half the space. I envy them that it's more than enough house for them and still comfortable enough to squeeze us all in for a few days. I think in my head I've always believed I would be a grown up when I had a house with a guest room. That day has yet to arrive. And yet, the world keeps on spinning. Another year passes us by and we have no plans to change a thing.  Truth be told, I am probably more used to our living conditions than I would have thought possible. But little trips like this set off all those what-if scenarios that are fun to indulge--if only for a long weekend.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Good visit. Love the photos.... So glad to have the room for us to all spread out. I promise we'll be even more settled and there will be more exploring next time. We already have done things that I wish we could've done when you guys were here.