Saturday, December 8, 2012

Trees, lights, glamour

The first full week of December and it was starting to feel like maybe we should start doing some of this Christmas stuff around the city. After our weekday outing to see Annie, I was eager to bring the whole family out and about for a little walk around the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. So after the girls woke up from their naps, we bundled up and headed in on the train.  The weather was a bit on the chilly side (low 40s), but with no wind it actually felt much warmer. I love nights like that this time of year with no fierce wind sending you back inside before you've had a chance to enjoy the lights and festive atmosphere. The crowds were thick, but not overbearing and we managed to let Carolina out of the stroller for a few minutes to bob and weave through the holiday sightseers.  One strange Asian tourist asked if she could "photo the baby?" which Nacho dismissed and I confusedly ignored.  Weird.  So we poked around the tree and ice rink for a bit before popping into the LEGO store.  Elisa was in love with everything she saw there. Of course, Santa wasn't planning on anything LEGO related, but we'll see. Maybe we can go back with some holiday money...
After walking up towards 5th Ave, we waited for a bit to see the light show across the street on the Saks Fifth Avenue building. It was way less exciting than I remembered, and after a disappointing shrug at the finale, we headed up Fifth towards Central Park and the big luxury department stores with their windows all aglow. It's definitely the pagan part of me that loves the dark of winter and the way lights can alter my mood so magically. Something about standing there in the cold gazing at the dramatic scenes and beautifully lit backdrops makes me feel like I am a part of that world. Even from the other side of the glass. And really, isn't that the magic of this city during the holidays? Anything is possible and even that Tiffany diamond ring looked like it belonged in my stocking. Hmmm...don't think I'm holding my breath for Santa. But it was fun to look. And Elisa got into the spirit of it without much prompting. She also wanted to sit down somewhere and later go pee. But we managed. And I even got Nacho to admit it was a fun evening. Mr. Grinch might just be coming around...

No comments: