Wednesday, December 12, 2012

December countdown

We're approaching the middle of December and so far, I think we're making good progress on the holiday merrymaking. Of course, with kids in the picture, it's really less "merry" and more "mess" making, but you get the point.  Part of me knows that I have to move through the paces even when I'm feeling less than great. In fact, Saturday was not a banner day in our household--long story, but it ended with me in the kitchen while everyone napped, huddled around my laptop during a gray depressing afternoon.  Yet, I still felt compelled to get out and get the tree already, damn it.  So around 5 p.m. I bundled Elisa up and she went with me up to Home Depot to pick out the perfect tree. This is mostly my job because A) I'm totally anal when it comes to getting the right tree and B) Nacho hates live trees and would be just as happy not getting one. I know, he didn't grow up with this tradition so it's hard for him to appreciate the magic of a fresh pine tree in his living room. But really, after 13 years together, you'd think he would know me well enough to stop protesting. I always win.
From the looks of it, Elisa wasn't in the mood either
Luckily, pizza cheered her up
Tinsel mustaches are so hot right now
Yes, I totally bribed my kids to take this photo with ice cream...so what?
We had a few moment of craziness with Carolina shrieking and trying to destroy all the ornaments. And I knew better than to hang the ones I would really hate to see smashed.  But still she managed to break a small glass ball despite keeping most of the fragile ones up top. Days later and she's leaving the tree alone most of the time which is why I think it's important to still have these traditions even when your kids are little. I remember when Elisa was a baby and I heard from friends and neighbors that several of them didn't get a tree because of their kids. I guess I have taken the approach that you can still do it, but be smart about it--don't hang the really good stuff and keep soft, droppable ornaments low enough that they can touch and move past the "off limits" vibe.  Once Carolina realized she could touch it, I think she got over the tree real fast. But I am waiting a bit to put out wrapped presents. I really don't want her opening them before the big day and ruining the surprise for Elisa. And okay, I don't want to catch Elisa sneakily opening them either. Thinking I'll put these out on Christmas Eve when we do our sibling gift exchange and then they can go to bed all crazy excited. Oh, yeah, that should work.

As for the mandatory gingerbread house, we attempted that on Sunday while Nacho was working. I should have thought it out a bit more and made the thing while Carolina napped. But we were busy with a friend's tree trimming party that morning and by afternoon, BOTH girls needed to rest. So I promised Elisa we'd decorate the house once she woke up. And sure enough, she sprang out of bed asking about it. I love that kind of excitement...until she's asked me 40 times if she can eat the gingerbread man and we haven't even started construction yet. Ugh, the whining. Lately it's been out of control and that afternoon was no different. Elisa always seems to find exactly the wrong time to annoy me with her incessant questioning which makes concentrating on anything impossible. Nevermind that Carolina was simultaneously shrieking and clawing at the table to get some candy. It was enough to make me want to take the gingerbread kit and dump it in the trash. But better sense prevailed, and after silencing them both with WAY too much sugar, I got the house up and we started to deck it out with lots of candy bling. 
Carolina isn't sure what to make of the green icing
Before the house is finished I relented and let Elisa eat the damn gingerbread man
Carolina manages to get up on the table herself and is all smiles
Elisa shows off the finished house
And Carolina moves in to destroy it...one gumdrop at a time

And finally, it wouldn't be Christmas time if we didn't add a little decoration to the girls' room. I dug out the twinkling colored lights we strung in there a few years back, and made a special afternoon out of it. Elisa was so excited and we played and danced in there until almost bedtime. 
Seeing my goofy girls wiggling and giggling to holiday music reminded me so much of the times when my sister and I would dance around our basement to the holiday classics. Those were the best times when we donned our leotards and danced wildly on that old red shag carpet.  Of course, stomping around on hard woods when you have neighbors below isn't quite the same, but for a moment I forgot about that and just remembered what it was like to be so young and carefree.  I was even getting a bit choked up with all the nostalgia.  Who knew lights had such magic?  I know these little moments are part of what I love about this time of year and the feeling of being safe and warm in the midst of such darkness all around. It's enough to banish my inner grinch for a while and enjoy the new traditions we're making as a family. Now on to the baking!

No comments: