Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

I never really believe the year has changed until I have to write a check. Is that weird? Somehow it's in the writing and thinking hard about what day it is that gives me a moment to appreciate the newness.  And it always signals my birthday is near (one week to go!) which is also fun and new. Today we are traveling back to NYC and I will miss hearing Elisa bouncing from family member to family member starting every sentence with "[Insert name], can I tell you something?"  She always waits to make sure they say yes which is both funny and incredibly annoying. But that's where we are right now. She's definitely mellowed a tad bit in the last few months. So far, 4 is looking much better than 3. And that's a good thing because Carolina is only ramping up for the full glory of toddlerdom.  I love the line in the newest season of my guilty pleasure Downton Abbey where Dame Maggie's character says about chaperoning her grand-niece "I forgot about parenting...the on and on-ness of it all." And that's exactly how I feel right now. It's so on and on...all the time.  But I predict the year ahead will bring some big changes in our home life or at least the structure of things. I hope to find work sometime in the new year--maybe after summer when Carolina is 2 and can start a local nursery school and Elisa will begin Kindergarten. And even in writing that, I am amazed I am at this place. I feel very fortunate to be a mom twice over and to have a great partner in life. We will be heading out to visit our family in Spain in a few weeks time and that brings another reminder that life is about being with the ones you love. I hope we have lots more of that this year. For me, the number 13 has always been a personal favorite of mine and I'm hoping this means a banner year. Only time will tell. 

No comments: