Friday, September 30, 2011

One last dip...

With the weather in NYC taking a muggy turn last week, we decided why not make a trip south and enjoy some real summertime fun? The end of September/early October is typically some of the best beach time in coastal Carolina and it's our favorite time to sneak away if we can. Nacho had a few days off and Elisa's school was closed Thursday so we ventured out on Wednesday night to catch a late flight to North Carolina. But with the rain hitting the city as we left, it turned into a much later night than planned. Not exactly a fun first flight with Carolina, but both of our girls did great. Elisa rocked the iPad like a 12 year old finding her own shows and games, and Carolina happily dozed and ate. It was so easy that I almost thought I could have done it on my own. Almost. Making it into my parents' house at nearly 1:30 a.m. though, I was dead tired and really needed a good night's sleep. Luckily Elisa went straight down and Carolina ate and did too. Then 6 straight hours later I woke up to a hungry girl who couldn't have slept better in the bassinet. I was so relieved and well rested we even made it to the beach our first day!
It was great to be out and about doing things with the two of them like we had gotten used to doing with just Elisa. Something about the normalcy of our trip here and getting to squeeze in some last bit of beach fun makes it feel like life is on the right track. It's not been totally derailed. And that is tiding me over when I feel like my boobs are on a timer, or I can't do anything on my own. It's nice to do something that we can all participate in and enjoy and this beach day was certainly a hit. Elisa loved the water and Carolina was so patient and quiet just hanging out in her car seat. I even managed to get a little dip in the ocean before coming back to feed her. It was great. Buying some amazing peaches from a roadside stand and stopping for Dairy Queen treats was the perfect finish to our day out and about. It felt like the best parts of summer were still waiting for us, and I'm so glad we made it!

No comments: