Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September starts...

I promised at least one pic of myself with Carolina this week. I didn't get around to having my sister do a full-on photoshoot, but we managed a sly snap anyway. Does this count??
Technically, that's two pics if you count that she was on me in the Baby Bjorn. We decided that with Stacey visiting and such great weather to start the month off, we had to venture into Manhattan with the whole family. So there we were in Central Park shuffling over hill and dale with Carolina fast asleep in the carrier and Elisa traveling in style in her usual Maclaren. I have to say it worked pretty well. Carolina is still light as a feather and so my shoulders and back took the burden without any pains. And I forgot how comfy and downright peaceful it is to hold a baby that way. It's like they can't resist the power of the Bjorn...she was out after just a couple of minutes and didn't rouse until we made it to Shake Shack (what is it about that girl and food that makes her wake up?). The stone slide at the park was a big hit with both Mia and Elisa, and we even managed to get Aunt Stacey on it once.
Of course, all good things have to come to an end eventually (case in point: see Elisa's pouting below when she had to leave the playground). Stacey and Mia leave tomorrow and we know that it will be a while before we see them again. California to New York is no small journey which is why we are very happy they made the trip out here to meet Carolina and visit us for the long weekend. I know Elisa enjoyed every minute of their time with us and she made sure to bug her cousin constantly to help her and play with her and generally entertain her.

But no matter what, it's never enough time. Even if we did this once a month, I would want more. It's just that sharing your family with people who love you as much as you love them is kind of intoxicating. You want to be around them more often to share more fun, more drama, more of the zaniness of a three year old and the cuddles of a sweet newborn. I remember with Elisa that it never occurred to me how much having a child would change my relationships within my family. I wanted to see them enjoy her the way I did and I longed to be closer to them. Then over the years, life moved on and we got more and more established in our routines and our community here at home. But now having Carolina means a renewed sense of that broader family connection. We welcome the chance to see them and I know we'll be making a trip to California again as soon as this little girl is airworthy. Hopefully before year's end!

No comments: