Friday, September 23, 2011

I'm in love

I'm not one to swoon over newborns--even my own--but these photos might have changed all that. My friend and fellow Sunnymom Amy Cannon came over last week to capture Carolina's early days for me and to try out her poses and props on a newborn. In her non-mom world she's a dancer/choreographer and budding photographer who uses her wonderfully playful spirit and great rapport with kids to get the best results. I didn't do anything like this when Elisa was little and in truth, I probably wouldn't have thought of it this time if it weren't for Amy's model search. But seeing Amy in action was so much fun and even though Carolina wasn't drowsy at all, she made the most of it and got some great shots. I think I'm in love...

All photos courtesy of Amy Cannon Photography

And after playing around for an hour or so with Carolina, of course Elisa had to work her way in front of the camera. Elisa was still dressed in her pjs and had total bed hair, but Amy worked her magic and soon there was a princess dancing before us smiling broadly for her photo shoot. And as Amy packed up her gear, Elisa asked her to stay and dance some more. "But I miss her" was the reply when I said Amy had to leave soon. Proof positive that this girl had a good time. I know we take a billion photos of our girls already, but seeing them through another photographer's eyes is always amazing to me. There's something in that smile or gazing stare that conveys a sense of what each one offers as a person. Carolina has a quiet charm, and well, Elisa is all kinds of sassy fun. And Amy has such a unique way of finishing the shots that they really become little works of art. I love that. It reminds me that this moment in our lives is really just a snapshot and before I know it, we'll be sending these girls off to college and beyond. But for now I have these dreamy photos to remind me of how lucky I am as a mom. My two girls smiling back at me. What a sight.

No comments: