Sunday, January 17, 2016

Winter walk

This weekend marked the first of our winter breaks, so to speak. It began with a half day for Elisa on Friday (which I conveniently made a half day for Carolina too) and then a full Saturday and Sunday with absolutely no plans. And we still get to sleep in on Monday too for MLK Day--score! But knowing that the forecasters were predicting much cooler temps to come late Saturday and stay for a good week or longer, I was up for a little winter walking around the city during the day before heading over to Jose and Irene's for dinner. I didn't really have a place in mind and Nacho suggested Central Park, but it felt like we'd just been there. Then I thought about the tram to Roosevelt Island, only to realize that I was the only one who didn't go last spring so I figured it might be too soon for a repeat.  But hey, we could still drive over and go for a stroll, right? I mean everything is easier with a car and the fact that it was sprinkling on and off most of the morning meant it would be better in case it decided to get wet again. When we told the girls where we were heading there was of course lots of moaning initially. They wanted to go to Lou Lodati. Ah, yes, such adventurers. Jeez. By the time we got over to the island (only about 10 minutes away), found parking and a restroom (my girls are just like their mother--very found of public bathrooms!), and got out to the path along the northern end of the island, Elisa was arguing with us about wanting to go back to Queens and play at Rainey Park overlooking Roosevelt Island. I swear to God it's always something with that kid. But once again, it was important to persevere and let her know that she isn't the one deciding our day. 

It's true that Roosevelt Island is a place with a kind of gloomy air about it even on the best day. I suppose the history of the place as a haven for criminals and the insane doesn't help. But it also has a kind of calm tranquility that I quite like and I was happy that on Saturday we finally got to explore the northern tip where the lighthouse park and old asylum is located. I enjoyed listening to the girls as they raced around the landscape with their "spy" backpacks on, trying to make up their own game as we basked in the late afternoon sun. And really, for about 30 minutes it was a perfectly balmy winter day on the little island in the middle of the East River. But no sooner had we rounded the tip and we were treated to a windy walk south with almost no sunshine and the kind of cloud layer that meant we were only going to get colder. The girls found a playground and then another area of exercise equipment that kept them occupied and happy.  The fact that Elisa begged to go back there today made me laugh. I had to remind her that she initially didn't even want to go, so yeah, sure, we'll head back. But not today. No, Sunday was our rest day after the little bit of activity yesterday. Today I made chili and chocolate chip cookies and watched the first real snow roll in to the city. It was a beautiful sight and made me content to be home in pajamas most of the day. The girls took a walk with Nacho late in the afternoon to the grocery store and I think they enjoyed their 20 minutes of frolicking in the snow showers. I'll wait til the real deal before I bust out my new snow boots. Yeah, it may be winter for another couple of months, but I'm not sure if we'll have more days like Saturday walking around in mild temps or like today bundling up and hoping the snow doesn't last long. Mostly, I'll be ready for the next big winter break in mid-February when we have over a week off (Nacho too!). We're already talking about where that might take us and Madrid is an early contender if the flights stay looking good. So we'll see where this next month takes us, and hopefully more winter walks will be in my future. 

No comments: