Friday, September 2, 2011

Un mes

One month down. Eleven more to go til her first birthday. What a weird thought, huh? I suppose I'm rushing ahead in my mind a lot these days thinking of all the stages we'll see again with Carolina. It's the normal thing to do with a baby though, isn't it? They are so full of potential and unknown possibilities. When will she learn to crawl? To walk? To speak her first words? Will she keep those blue eyes or change to green like her Papa? When will she sleep through the night**? What will her favorite foods be?

**Ah, yes, the most important question of all!
Already I can tell I'm relieved at the thought that she has completed her first month. There is no sadness at her babyhood flying by. Not yet--maybe not ever. I don't know if I'm just not a baby person, but I really can't wait til she's walking and toddling around. That was the beginning of the real fun for me with Elisa. Yes, it's sweet to kiss Carolina's smooth cheeks and to gaze at her wild eyes when she lets her head bob up and down. And the twitchy smiles and flaky eyes trick are amusing to watch. But I won't say I want this stage to last forever. I realize it's only a blip in her total lifespan, but still I find the newborn phase so bewildering and hard to appreciate in its entirety. Why is she crying this time? Is she hungry? When will she finally succumb to sleep? What can I expect today to be like? The questions are neverending and the answers hard to come by. I want to sleep all night again. I want to play with Carolina for hours and show her the fun we can have at the park and with her big sister. I want more than what a month can give me. I want to know this little person so much better. One month...and counting.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Just can't believe how much she looks like her sister!!