Sunday, October 2, 2011

Market Day

I've been visiting Jacksonville, NC for the better part of 18 years and can honestly say it's gotten much better over time. My sister and her husband moved here back then with the Marine Corps and by the time my parents retired, they were lured to the coastal area with its quiet beaches and good fishing. Yes, it's still full of too many tattoo parlors and titty bars (I know, I know, can you ever have enough?), but nowadays there is also a good range of stores and eateries and a pretty nice farmers market that runs on the weekend. Since we'd already hit the beach on Day 1, and it had turned a bit chilly Saturday morning, we decided to head over to the market for a quick look around. The emphasis is definitely on local produce and meats, not necessarily organic, but the place also has live music and a few distractions for the kids. Elisa didn't take long to climb up on the tractors out for display. Hopefully that was alright. No one around seemed to mind so we let her sit and act like a regular farm girl for a few minutes.
And Nacho bought us some shaved ices to enjoy while we walked around which were tasty and oh so cheap. Seriously, that mound of juicy red deliciousness was $1. By the time we had a stroll through the market and back to Mr. Piggly Wiggly, Elisa was ready to give him a hug which Nacho found particularly creepy. It did kind of remind me of those movies where the robbers use weird masks. A little too expressionless or something. But anyway, the market was a hit and we got some great squash, goat cheese, pumpkin butter and crab dip. Then back home to nap and enjoy the cool early evening. Even though we've managed to have a few more warm days down South, it's definitely turning into fall every where you go. And since it's probably my favorite season, I'm looking forward to heading back up north in a few days to see the leaves beginning to change and pull on a sweater with jeans again. Year after year, I still love that first crisp, cool air. Hopefully we'll get out of New York City later in the month even for just a day trip to see some of the fall foliage this year since I'm really missing our Route 7 adventure from last October. Oh well, there are many more years ahead to enjoy that with both our girls. I have to remember that sometimes. So for now, I'm trying to stay in the moment and enjoy the little trips out and about. Carolina is 2 months old this weekend and she's definitely proving herself to be a go-along kind of kid which makes it easier to attempt these outings. It's almost the case that it's easier to take her out and just live life than sit at home and hope she falls asleep after each eating cycle. Why is that? If we're out and she's sleeping on and off but generally in a good mood, I find that I'm so much more relaxed. And I'm not nearly as hung up about breastfeeding in public or finding the time to sit and feed her on the go. It's hardly any more effort which constantly amazes me. But then this new little girl is pretty amazing.

No comments: