Sunday, October 30, 2011

And it's not even Halloween...yet

I'm glad Halloween is almost here because man, I'm tired of all this fun. On Friday we kicked off the weekend with a party at Elisa's preschool, Amazing Magic Beans. I've written briefly before about how much I like the school, and how well Elisa is doing there. It's been a wonderful change for both of us and getting to see her hang out there for a bit was cool. At one point she asked me, "Mom, are you going to stay?" I think she got a little shy being with us, but we still had fun icing cupcakes, coloring Halloween pictures and taking a turn with the homemade piƱata. Her "princess pirate" costume was low on effort (I'm still not feeling too inspired about the whole dress up thing), but I think it achieved its goal. And hey, she kept the hat on and the sword in her belt. I say victory all around!
By mid-day Saturday, the weather had turned unseasonably cold and snowy. Yes, SNOWY. I couldn't believe my eyes looking out the window. It was a gusty, wet snow with lots of beauty, but little sticking power. Elisa wanted to go for a walk in it and so Nacho obliged. They headed to the playground at P.S. 150 where I think they were pretty much on their own. A nice break in this housebound weekend and Elisa loved telling me all about the snowman she made.
Later that night we had another Halloween/Birthday party to attend in honor of Zara's third birthday. Her mom Tania always has the most creative party themes and costumes and she didn't disappoint this year with an International/UN Delegate party for the kids. Elisa opted for a more worldly costume and went as a futbol player from the Spanish national team. Another low key costume from this lazy momma, but hey, it was snowing out and we walked 8 blocks in the slush to get there. Can I just say I'm sooooo happy it wasn't actually Halloween. That weather sucked. But we managed to get there fast and let our socks dry as the party carried us away. I didn't see much of Elisa once we arrived, and Carolina was a total party girl hanging out in her car seat in the corner. It was the perfect hands-off affair. Nacho and I both managed to talk and mingle and enjoy the evening. Having two kids really hasn't been double the work--at least not yet. I think it also helps that I'm not freaking out about things as much this time around, but really, it's evenings like this that make it feel like life is pretty sweet. We got out, had a good time and made it home by bedtime. See how good we're getting at this stuff?
And now we have a day of rest in between all these festivities to catch our breath, rest up and plan the next outfit. I think if the weather stays dry and warmer, Elisa will show off her pirate costume again. She definitely has more of an idea of what's in store this year, and we've been practicing saying "trick-or-treat." Today I added the ever important "smell my feet, give me something good to eat" and she erupted into a fit of giggles. Now we'll see if we can work on that for tomorrow night. Twenty four hours to go!

No comments: