Saturday, October 8, 2011

Oktoberfest Success!


So last year's festival was kind of a pain in the ass. Elisa was in a foul mood. I was on my own with her and the joy of trying to get her in the mood for the pumpkin patch, brats and music was completely sucked out of me. It was not our best day. Fast forward to this year and I have two little girls to deal with and thus wasn't expecting much. But like all lowered expectations, I was pleasantly surprised and even enjoyed the little outing. To be fair, I enlisted the help of Birdie's folks, Max and Amanda, to make the stroll over a bit more fun and Max really worked his charm cajoling Elisa when I had my hands full. It was a team effort that really paid off. I was able to strap Carolina in the Bjorn and walk around the pumpkin patch helping Elisa pick out the perfect one. And later we went to the painting station to give it that oh-so-pretty makeover. With paint up to her eyeballs (and hair!), it was a pleasure to see her dive right in. I think she took it pretty seriously too from the look on her face. We even managed to sit and eat with friends while the park buzzed with activity and the crowd grew thick. These kind of events always make me appreciate the calm days at the park even more. It wasn't possible to let Elisa run free, and she did start to melt down a little before we could head home. But all in all, it went much better than last year's lame 1-2-3 in-and-out-with-no-pumpkin. We got in, got out and nobody got hurt. Success all around!

No comments: